[ 33 ]
13% 13% 
[ 6 ]
18% 18% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 48

Should AM And SSB Be Legalised On 27Mhz. In The UK

Post  m0gcp on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:49 pm

In 1981 Maggie And Her Mates Legalised CB Radio, It May Have Been On The Wrong Channels And The Wrong Mode But Lets Face It She Couldn't Get Anything Right, 3 Million On The Dole Need I Say More. Since Then Regular Research Has Been Done Into The Possible Use Of SSB And AM And It Keeps Being Shelved. But In 2008 With Digital TV And DAB And Internet Radio The Chance Of Interference Is Virtually None Existent. Legalise It At 12 Watts On SSB And 4 Watts On Am Like The Yanks Did. We Are Supposed To Be Part Of Europe Bring Us Into Line Then. What Do You Think? Let Me Know.

If You Like The Forum Tell Others

If You Don't Tell Us, It Can Be Sorted

Why Not Try My Webite At http://www.m0gcp.co.nr
m0gcp

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-08-05

View user profile http://www.446english.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Should AM And SSB Be Legalised On 27Mhz. In The UK

Post  UK916 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:18 am

Fully agree with you Duncan. Seems funny that sideband and AM on 11 meters is still considered unsuitable for the UK due to the POSSIBILITY of interference, yet BT are allowed to flood the country with Powerline Adaptors(used with their BT Vision TV system) that have been proved to cause interference on many of the bands that Hams/CBers etc use.

There are so many people now using the sidebands in this country that it seems ridiculous to keep it illegal, and impossible to argue that ssb causes major problems with other radio services. Many years ago this may have been the case, but new technology and better standards of components and construction mean that interference has now become negligible. The old chestnut about ssb interfering with airports, emergency services, TVs etc just don't hold water anymore, times have changed and so has the equipment. This myth can be filed with the others regarding mobile phones causing planes to crash and petrol stations to explode, it just won't happen in this day and age! TV is mainly digital and on frequencies totally unrelated to ones we would like to use, even on freeview. The old whinge about knocking out the emergency services radios can't be used anymore as they are all on TETRA now, a system so unreliable and unsuitable for emergency services use that I bet the local plod wishes they still had analogue radios! Wink And when you consider the problems, health issues and the relatively untested operation of such systems like TETRA, GSM and UTMS, it soon becomes apparent that it all comes down to . The revenue from licensing such systems is massive, yet there is no financial gain from letting Joe Public use a couple of megs to chat to his/her fellow operators. The best route to take with this problem is to use the same frequencies and modes that our European cousins are allowed to use, and if you get caught then plead your Human Rights, and also point out that as members of the EU we should be allowed to use the same systems as the rest of Europe. Not sure how effective this would be, but it could prove an interesting test case and possibly set a precedent for a change in the law. Wishful thinking? We got 27Mhz legalised in 1981 after the Tories got in, looks like we are facing a similar situation nowdays with Labour struggling to retain public support and the Conservatives getting ready to take over. Maybe now is a good time to contact your local Tory MP and ask for their standpoint on the subject, and what they propose to do about it if they get into government!
UK916

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-10-02

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/uk916 www.myspace.com/eugenespeed

Back to top Go down

Post  simon007 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:30 am

Well, you know for me its a no. I sit here inside mainland EU and each summer listen to what is on the FM channels and thats sometimes not the best to hear. So it seems that if you allow people the option of legal SSB then the chances are there will be even more noise and bad language, this time maybe 555 maybe somewhere else.

SAYING THAT, there is talks ongoing to allow the UK 26965-27405 with 4w SSB and an allowance for up to 3 element yagi antennas. These talks are still carrying on

Germany has legal SSB and most of the time its silent here on them, not a lot happening at all
simon007

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-11-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down